Your home should be something you are proud of and a place of solitude. However, it can be challenging if your home is not fitting your needs to feel happy with where you live. Luckily, there are thousands of easy projects that you can tackle that will help you bring your dream home to life.
Today, we will focus on five ways that you can enhance the look, comfortability, and even the value of your home with little outside help and in a way that will not break your budget.
Revamp Your Storage
One of the major reasons that homeowners are not happy with their homes is because they are not fitting their needs. Something as simple as revamping your storage and doing a deep declutter can increase your home’s functionality. You will be able to rid your life of unwanted clutter and feel more comfortable in your home.
It may seem simple to declutter your home, but many find this very difficult to actually accomplish. Often, we hold onto items that we simply do not need but rather have an attachment to. This can make decluttering a challenge, but you will likely feel much better upon completing a deep declutter.
The best way to start this decluttering process is to focus on one area at a time and ensure you have a goal in mind. You can start in your kitchen area, closet, bathroom, children’s rooms, etc. and then work your way around your home until the entire home is decluttered.
Some simple steps that can make decluttering easier are:
- A great place to start is to completely empty the area that you plan to declutter. Yes, this means completely emptying a closet, your cabinets, your dresser drawers, or any area that needs cleaned.
- If you have not worn an item for over a year or if a clothing item has not fit for over a year, it is best to rid the home of this item. Often, donating is an easy way to help out others and feel better about where your clothing is going.
- When in the kitchen area, if you have not used an item for over a year or do not plan to use it, throw it away or donate it. Clean out all food areas and throw away anything that is out of date or no longer needed.
- While in the bathroom area, check all product expiration dates. Many do not realize that cosmetics actually expire after some time. Throw out any expired or partially used products that are no longer needed.
- If you struggle with clutter in your home, it is best to assign a home for all items. You can ensure that your items are put away by always putting them back in their designated home.
It is important to note that decluttering is not always simple or easy. If you have an emotional attachment or sentimental value to an item, it is alright to keep this item. However, do your best to rid your home of items that do not bring your joy and are not needed, as clutter can often lead to anxiety or uneasiness in the home.
Organize Your Home
Once you have your home decluttered, it is easier to begin the organization process. It can be very difficult to organize your home when areas are full of items you do not need. However, once decluttered, it is simple to find a place for the items that you need or use daily.
A great and inexpensive way to begin the organizing process is by purchasing plastic bins. These can be purchased from most major retailers and can be bought for as low as $1 each. You can always customize a basic plastic container or jar with labels if needed.
Organizing your items based on what they are and creating an easy system for finding your items can make it easier to take inventory on the items you have and what you need. It can also help keep your home from getting cluttered again. If organization is a bit overwhelming to you, start with one room and as you can organize additional spaces.
Add Some Paint
Another easy way to enhance your love for your home and the overall look is by painting. Whether your entire home needs a fresh coat, or you have a few rooms that need repainted, adding a coat of paint can give you a refreshed love for your home. Of course, you do not have to stop with one room, you can even repaint the exterior of your home.
Beyond enhancing your love for your home, repainting your home can actually be highly beneficial. Just a few of the benefits of painting your home are:
- It raises the overall value of your home.
- Exterior paint can enhance the curb appeal of your home.
- Adding paint will help lower the dirt and dust in your home.
- Your home will look cleaner as marks and stains will be covered.
- New paint can provide a better air quality.
Not only is painting an inexpensive way to change up the look of your home, but it clearly has some major benefits to your home as a whole.
Adding Paint Offers Personalization
If you are not in love with your home, paint is an easy way to add personalization. Whether you simply revamp the look of your home with a fresh coat of a neutral paint color or you do a more unique design, paint is a great way to fall in love with your home. Of course, you can hire someone to complete this painting, or you can easily do this on your own.
The first step to painting your home is to decide on a specific color or technique that you love. You can easily browse paint colors at your local home store and find a shade that brings you joy. Of course, you can add wallpaper, unique painting techniques, patterns, or other designs to enhance this even further.
While you will want to do further research into the ins and outs of painting, some basics that you will want to purchase to complete these paint projects are:
- Paint– You may need more than one color depending on what you are hoping to achieve. You can have this mixed easily at a local home store.
- Paint Rollers– You will want a variety of sizes to best fit your needs.
- Roller Poles– If you have high ceilings, you may want to add an extension pole.
- Drop Cloths– Protect the areas around your walls with drop cloths or plastic.
- Paintbrushes– Buy a variety of paintbrushes to fit small areas and larger paint jobs.
- Paint Tray– This is to pour the paint into for easy access.
- Sandpaper– Sand over any rough spots on your walls to prep for paint.
- Painter’s Tape– This is used to mark out the edges of the walls and trim.
- Putty Knife and Putty– This is only needed if you have any holes or major blemishes on your walls.
As mentioned, you can hire someone to complete painting for you but if you are armed with the supplies above, the process is fairly easy!
Update Your Cabinetry
Another great way to increase the value of your home and create a look you love is to update your cabinetry. This can range from simply a fresh paint job to completely replacing your cabinets, hardware, and countertops. Start by assessing what your budget is and what look you hope to achieve.
If your cabinetry is darker in color or uses a dated color, it may not fit the modern decorating style you were hoping for. A quick change of color or design can really amp up the aesthetic of your home. Of course, this can become a very detailed project, and you will want to consider your skill level or budget for professional help.
Some things to keep in mind when deciding to update your cabinetry are:
- Do you need an entire renovation?– If your cabinetry is within ten years old, you more than likely do not need an entire redo. Instead, you can refinish, repaint, or stain the cabinets to update the look. If you are not happy with the layout of your cabinets or they are older, a larger update may be needed.
- Do you want to stain or repaint?– If your cabinets are wooden, you do have the option to sand away the current finish and stain the wood. Another option is to repaint the cabinets.
- Are you familiar with the process?– Repainting cabinets is not easy task. You must become familiar with the steps and recognizing that this can be a multiday or even week process. It also requires extra equipment like a sander, paint sprayer, screwdrivers or drills, and traditional painting supplies.
- Are you unhappy with the cabinets or just the hardware? – Updating your cabinet handles is a simple and fairly quick fix. Especially, if you find knobs and handles in a very similar size to your current options. If you like the color of the cabinet but just want a refreshed hardware, this is a cheap project that can create a brand new look.
- Do you want to update the countertops as well?– When painting or staining, keep in mind that you will want the color to match your countertops. If it does not match well, you may want to replace your countertops as well. This can increase your overall prices drastically but can create an entirely new look in your home.
Overall, fresh cabinetry and countertops can increase your homes’ look drastically and give you an aesthetic that you are hoping for. If you do not think this is a job you can complete on your own, hiring professional help is always an option!
Replace Your Flooring
Another project that can range from a quick fix to a more involved and lengthy process is replacing your flooring. Many find that they do not love the look of their home because their flooring is outdated. However, there are several amazing options that you can use to replace your flooring that are inexpensive and an easy fix.
While updating your flooring will clearly increase the look of your home, it also increases the overall value if you choose a good product. Some top choices for new flooring are:
- Engineered Hardwood
You will want to compare the pros and cons of these flooring options and keep your budget in mind. While hardwood is one of the best flooring options, it is also very expensive and not in everyone’s budget. However, there are amazing engineered options that look great and can be a bit more budget friendly.
Things to Keep in Mind
When it comes to flooring, you do not want to jump into this without some thought. You need to recognize that replacing the flooring is a big task and depending on the flooring you are replacing can be a lengthy process. If you do not have the right equipment, time, or previous knowledge, you will want to contact a professional for help.
Some things to keep in mind when choosing your flooring and which areas to update are:
- How much do you want to increase the value of your home?
- Do you want to use a similar flooring? Or do you want to update the look and feel entirely?
- Is your current flooring functional? Will the new flooring fit the functionality of your home?
- Will the new flooring be easy to clean?
- Does the new flooring offer any enhanced health benefits?
- Will the new flooring enhance heating or cooling efficiency?
Overall, updating your flooring can increase the overall functionality and look of your home. It will take some consideration and can be a bit expensive, but this is a great project that will help you fall in love with your home.
Enhance the Landscape and Outdoor Areas
While our projects so far have focused on the indoor areas, it is important to remember the outdoor areas of your home. If you enjoy spending time outdoors or are often entertaining, you may find that your outdoor areas do not fit your needs. Updating your landscaping alone can help you fall in love with your home again.
When it comes to updating your outdoor areas, you will want to consider if you simply want to add more foliage or if you want to update seating areas and adding outdoor furniture. While landscaping can be done easily on your own, there are professionals that are great at revamping outdoor foliage and flower beds. Hiring a professional can be a bit more expensive, but it is a great way to get landscaping that you will love.
When updating your landscaping some basics to keep in mind are:
- You will want to match the landscaping to your home’s overall style. If you have a farmhouse style home, you may want to focus to classic flowers like rose bushes. If you have a log-cabin style home, you may want to incorporate wooden pieces into your flower areas.
- Focus on adding color and texture and think of your garden areas as a blank canvas. Pick a theme to go with and focus on using colors that fit your needs. Adding pops of color can bring out the shades in your home.
- Use trees and larger plants to create a mixture of heights. Adding trees is not only great for filling in certain areas but it can help save on your overall energy costs. Also, trees make great additions during summer months by offering shade or even fruit.
- You should always remember to add in walkways and seating if needed around the home. Creating a walkway and floral combination can be a great way to greet guests. Adding in a few seating arrangements around your home or even a patio can help make your home more functional.
Updating your landscaping will increase the outdoor beauty of your home and can make warmer months more enjoyable.
Love Your Home with Simple Updates
While you may not do all the projects on our list, picking one or two and making small changes can increase the value and aesthetics of your home. Of course, you always want to consider your budget and the changes you hope to see.
Element Home Remodeling East Bay is an Oakland based contracting company specializing in custom home renovations. Contact us today for a free consultation.
- Where Do I Start When Adding an Addition to My House? - December 14, 2021
- Why You Shouldn’t Use a Box Store for Your Remodeling Project - December 8, 2021
- How to Hire a Local Contractor for Your Next Home Addition Project - December 8, 2021